Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Potatoes...mmmm

We eat a lot of potatoes in our house. I mean a LOT. It could have something to do with my ancestors being Irish; or it could just be that they are inexpensive and versatile. We'll say it's a bit of both!

I'm notorious for creating dishes and not writing them down. Cooking on the fly suits me. Open the pantry or fridge, take out some ingredients, throw them together and, voila! Delicious on a plate. Then again, when the time comes to recreate those dishes they never quite turn out the same way again. They don't turn out bad; they just aren't exactly as I remember them.

This post is for you, Handsome Husband, who asked me to start writing down in recipe form the things I cook. I plan to post a recipe a week. I'll stay accountable in my promise to write down recipes and you, dear reader, get a new recipe to try! Of course, I'll also post recipes by others. I mean, I'm not THAT good! I don't make up everything we eat :).

Roasted Potatoes with Herbs
(I used small, red potatoes for this but you can use whatever type of potatoes you have in your pantry)

a pound or two of small, red potatoes
(eyeball this: you know how much your family will eat)
two tablespoons of olive oil
teaspoon each of sea salt and pepper
a good tablespoon of fresh chives (if using dried, cut the amount in half)
a tablespoon of fresh herb of your choice
(rosemary works wonderfully with potatoes! Again, if using dried, but this amount in half. you don't want the potato to become a deliver service for rosemary:))
two tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
half a stick of butter, diced and melted

preheat oven to 350*

wash and pat dry your potatoes.

slice them in half, then slice the halves into several "half moon" pieces

(like so)

put the potato slices into a baking dish and drizzle the olive oil over top

salt and pepper liberally

if you're using fresh herbs, go ahead and chop those up. toss all herbs into the dish.

using your hands, mix the potatoes, oil and spices together until all the potatoes look as if they are covered in something delicious.

melt the butter either in a sauce pan over medium heat or in a microwave proof bowl. once melted, pour over the potatoes.

sprinkle the Parmesan over the top and put the baking pan in a 350* oven.

bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the potatoes just begin to turn brown. if you like crispy potatoes, let them go for an hour or more just make sure you check them periodically to ensure they aren't burning!



ta-da! delicious, buttery, salty goodness ready for the table, your plate, and your enjoyment!

Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm.... These were delicious! You always make better potatoes than I do... Unless it's mashed potatoes. I'm pretty dang good at mashed potatoes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes are my FAVORITE food ever! I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon: Yes, you do, indeed, make excellent mashed potatoes :)

    Kristen: Aloo!! I don't think I'm spelling that correctly, but I think of that everytime I use potatoes :) I'll have to do an Indian potato dish soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J