Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Prompts for Writers (and other creative types)

Good morning! I don't know about you, but do love a good creative prompting. Whether it be for writing or for crafting, I love stumbling across lists of ideas, projects or "challenges" to put me in the creative mood. There are TONS of articles and blog-lists out there that highlight one or many of these lists. What's one more?

I am certainly not claiming that this weekly prompt posting will be a great list that will draw people in from far and wide. But it might be. You just never know! And I'll certainly never know unless I try :) The main reason for doing this is to gather as many creative ideas as I can in one place and share them with YOU so that we both can stay creative, stay inspired, and stay motivated to write and create art.

***

Our first stop on the creative prompt train is the Insecure Writer's Support Group. If you don't yet know what the IWSG is, click HERE for a fantastic explanation. Every Wednesday, there's something inspirational posted to their Facebook page and their website. Today, the topic is TITLES. I don't know about you, but titles either hit me with something amazing or don't come at all! Argh. In fact, I've got a book right now that I'm digging and digging for a title and getting nothing but dirt and worms. 

***

Dream
photo via my Pinterest board, originally found @ Media-Cache

Imagine yourself in this predicament. You're standing around, waiting for the bus, waiting for the subway or the light to turn green. Suddenly, you feel light, buoyant, almost as if you were ... flying. You look down and see the ground several inches beneath you. What do you do? Are there people around you? What is their reaction? Do they even notice?

Maybe your character has this annoying habit of flying at the most inopportune times. Like when he's angry. Or sad. Or when he sneezes...

***

Follow the rabbit trail; see where it may lead:

I swear I never meant for it to happen. I mean, I'm not even sure that it did happen. All I know is one minute Gregg was standing there, jabbing is fat finger in my chest and the next, BANG!, he was gone

***

Got any good stashes of prompts? Found an inspirational site you return to for help? What WOULD you do if you suddenly found out you could fly? And Gregg, I mean, where did he go? Why was he so angry? And what did the other character have to do with his disappearance?

Happy Creating!

8 comments:

  1. I rarely write off of prompts. This post has me rethinking that.... You never know when/where inspiration will strike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes my inspiration comes from newspaper articles, or true life stories. None of this inspiration would be believed if someone read my writing.
    It's amazing what can inspire, but I'm sure it's different for each of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you came up with!
    Thanks for drawing from the IWSG site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, Jen,

    Great to see you again! Thanks for stopping by earlier at my blog to say hello. Such a nice surprise!

    I LOVE this idea for you blog. I am creative, like you, in the sense that I do other things besides writing. I illustrate, take photos, craft, etc. I am also an interior designer by trade.

    Great photo for your prompt! I like what you came up with, too!

    Thanks for pumping up our creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin: I LOVE prompts! I collect them like a magpie. It's sad, really. I should probably USE some of them!

    Fanny: I've heard of lots of people using newspaper articles as inspiration. I haven't tried it, but judging by what I hear on the news, I'm sure there's a load of stories out there just waiting to be told!

    Alex: No problem! Always happy to help out the IWSG. I've missed you guys!

    Michael: Happy to see you as well! Thanks so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. J: I think you've found a great title, maybe not your current book but another. It's "hidden" in your frustration in digging for a title:

    "Nothing but Dirt and Worms"

    That's a great title to pick up off the shelf.

    So when are you going to write it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dean: Thanks! That is a pretty good title. Now to add a plot...hmmm...I think you're on to something here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you already know I love prompts. Great post!
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J