Thursday, April 24, 2014

Thursday: Favorite Book Series and Shameless Martin Freeman Fangirling

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Book Cover by fourblackbirds
gorgeous book cover designed by fourblackbirds over at deviantart

Every time I utter the word "Thursday" I always think of Arthur Dent. He never quite could get the hang of Thursdays. Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is quite possibly the funniest, five book trilogy ever written. I may be one of the few people who enjoyed the book AND enjoyed the movie, but i never claimed to be in the popular crowd of any camp. Not even a nerdy one.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a shameless Martin Freeman fangirl. Funny, but no one knew who he was before The Hobbit. I used to talk about him and people would look confused and ask, "Who?" So I'd start with a list:

"Sherlock"?
Blank stares (Yes, friends, I watched THAT before it was "cool" too).

 "Love Actually"? Frowns.

"The Office".
"He's not in The Office".
"The original Office."
"Nope. Still not there."
"The British version!"
"There's a British version!!!"

Now, mention Martin Freeman and people are all like, "Oh, yeah! He's awesome. Loved him for years!"


There seems to be a strange pattern here. I tend to find books, movies, actors before anyone else and then, when the Eye of Sauron the Media gets involved, people swear up and down I never mentioned them before and they know ALL about them.

I'm not bitter, just amused.

Most of my favorite books are discussed in this manner as well. There are several series I'm slightly addicted to that no one I know has ever heard of much less read. Clive Barker's "Abarat" series is one of them. Three of the books have been out for a while and Barker is still working on the final two. It's a deliciously dark, fiendishly clever series filled with Barker's own paintings. They are disturbing and amazing. His vision is twisted but I like it.

James A. Owen has written, in my opinion, the most AMAZING fantasy series EVER. The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica is a series of seven books, the last of which just came out this past November. They are all sitting on my shelves. They are all gorgeously illustrated with Owen's own work. He's an artist who also did the Starchild Series. If you love graphic novels, check out his work!

**Whatever you do, DO NOT read the back of the paperback book or any of the books for that matter. Some "genius" decided to let something very, very important slip into the description that should be left for the final page. TRUST ME! I honestly think if you read this first, it will ruin the experience and the "Holy Crap" moment of the final page of book one. Then again, that could just be me...**

Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy is another of my "Series You Must Read". This one gets a bit of slack, but I'm always one for controversial literature. The first book in the series, "The Golden Compass" was made into a movie a few years back. Believe it or not, they did a fine job of it. A lot of the books deeper themes were left out, but that was actually wise on the producer's part. If you don't mind having your beliefs challenged, your mind blown, and your conventions in an uproar, READ THIS SERIES. Pullman is an exquisite writer, an enormous talent and, in my opinion, one of the most brilliant authors on this Earth today.

Finally, I'm going to toss out the "Artemis Fowl" series by Eoin Colfer. I'm terribly behind in this also finished series but THEY ARE WONDERFUL! Colfer has a sense of humor that is unrivaled. Fowl is a nasty little fiend of a main character but, trust me on this, he grows on you. By the end of the first book, you will be rooting for the bad guy. Promise.

(Incidentally, Colfer was asked to write another book in the Hitchhiker's "trilogy". 
It's only fitting that I end with him :))

Why do I mention all of these books? Because I love them. Also because this summer I'm going to dive into and read/re-read them. All. Including another series that I won't yet mention because, well, I just don't feel like it yet :D

I have yet to figure out how this epic re-read is going to fit into the blog. I do know it's going to take huge amounts of time but I haven't had the time to read them again until now. One year after university and I'm just now finding the time to read what I really want to read again. Crazy!

What are YOUR favorite series? Have any of you read any of the books above? Did anyone else LOVE Martin Freeman before his fame as a Baggins of Bagend?

Happy Thursday and...

image from geeksofdoom.com

11 comments:

  1. That bit about Martin Freeman... hilarious.

    I hope you manage to re-read them all. It is wonderful to have time for personal reading again (when you didn't before). Somehow feels liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched Sherlock, so I knew who Freeman was.
    The first trilogy of Shannara by Terry Brooks is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin: Glad I could give you a good laugh :) Yes, I'm very excited. Let's just hope I stay focused on "reading for me"...for some reason I feel guilty when I do that!

    Alex: I knew you would know :) I haven't read Terry Brooks yet (shameful, I know) but I've always been interested in his books...ever since I shelved them at the old bookstore I worked at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew him from Sherlock. =)

    Going to have to check out your suggestions. I did start the Artemis Fowl series, and couldn't get into the characters...or the world. Military and fairies? Yeah... Fairies are like the opposite of military. Maybe I'm just lacking an imagination.

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried the Hitchhiker's movie a few times, just can't make it. I am weak. *hangs head* But yes, best 5-book trilogy ever.

    Read Artemis Fowl after my daughter did. Enjoyed it.

    Usually I'm not a "series" kind of reader. If they turn sour, I still feel inclined to finish. So I avoid most (Hunger Games included.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched Sherlock and that is where I first recall seeing him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked Freeman in Sherlock, and now loving him in Fargo.

    Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2014, My Latest post

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crystal: At first I thought the same thing - military and fairies? But that's why it works so well. It's crazy, ludicrous, and genius!

    Dean: You're not weak. It's not for everyone, especially if you're a die-hard fan of the books :)

    And PS: I've never read the Hunger Games either. I'm not a big fan of hype.

    Pat: That was the second thing I saw him in. I was like, Hey! That's that guy from The Hitchhiker's Guide!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Damyanti: Thanks for stopping by! I forgot he was in Fargo! I'll have to watch that. I'm interested to see how they turn that into a series :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait--there are people out there who have never seen Love, Actually?

    (From the person who has never seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I knew of Martin Freeman before The Hobbit. And I haven't read any of those series. *sighs* As for series, I love the Harry Potter books. And I just finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. I <3 Brandon Sanderson's work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie: Yep, they are out there :) What?! Not a single LOTR's movie? that must be remedied!! Thanks for stopping by!

    Cherie: Thanks for stopping by! I haven't read anything by Sanderson yet, but I just picked up one of his books! I can't wait to dive into it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J