Monday, May 5, 2014

Reflections of India (or It's a Small World After All)

The street in India where I stayed for two weeks...a street with no name

The post that blocked the sun wasn't very thorough. I had to maneuver left and right to find the exact spot the shadow fell. A bit more to the right, hunch over - gotcha! I was sipping tea and thinking, my usual morning routine. Now that it's warm, I do my sipping and thinking on the back porch (or as we like to call it, the veranda). The sun does a marvelous job of banishing sleepy eyes and cobwebbed brains.

While the tea was steeping, I clicked through Instagram and was struck by a beautiful picture taken by a friend of mine who is in India. The colors - golden sun, ancient marble - brought back memories of the two weeks I spent there five years ago. India is a rush of everything unfamiliar. The sights, the sounds, the smells: it's as if your reality was turned inside out and handed back to you backward and just a bit too big.

I remember walking through the streets with my friend. It was a rush of people. There's always a rush of people. Shouting, laughing, talking, arguing. Children rushing up, begging for a few rupees. Vendors shoving their wares under your noses. Piles of garbage two stories high. Cows and chickens and scooters and trucks and....

It is glorious madness.

And it was the first time in my life I realized just how small this world really is. How very small I am.

When you're "here", in your everyday, anywhere else is "there". Other. Foreign. I used to equate India with an exotic dream that was a bit unattainable. But when you're "there", there becomes your here. I realize this might sound a bit too existential for a Monday morning, but reality is a funny thing. When you find yourself in that exotic foreign of your dreams, suddenly your reality IS that Other that was once so unattainable.

And it's not so foreign after all.

Here and now is all we really have, regardless of WHERE that is. That feeling of connection, of smallness is one I try to keep with me. The other side of the world is light years away and, yet, it's happening as I type this. People that I met and learned to love are sleeping, dreaming of their tomorrow - my tomorrow - which they'll see before me. It's a bit like time travel, really.

Makes me even more glad to be a part of this crazy, beautiful world.

Happy Monday,

4 comments:

  1. Ah, lovely reflections for a Monday morning. Where ever you are, be fully in that space. And, never stop dreaming.
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lived in and traveled to many foreign countries, so I know exactly what you mean. The reality of that moment is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post about the reality of the moment. It's living in the now which some of seem unable to do.

    Mary Montague Sikes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Jen,

    I can so relate to this. I live in the here, too. Wherever I am is here.

    This past year I traveled a lot. To Bogota, Colombia, Florida, The Bahamas, and Puerto Rico... So I know exactly.

    It makes one feel ALIVE....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J