Monday, June 16, 2014

Magpie Tales 224

Not To Be Reproduced, 1937, Rene Magritte

My reflection has never been a true representation of who I am. I'm deeper than skin and bone. My hair and eyes are simply outward expressions of DNA. It is my soul that will linger long after these things are gone. We stare at others and wish we were different. We compare, contrast, strive. Yet in the mirror we gaze, longingly, wishing that someone would come along and wipe away the collected grime to reveal the crystalline glimmer of eternity.

You, I, we are such stuff as dreams are made on. 

***

This little vignette is part of Magpie Tales, a collaboration of poets and writers wishing to hone their skills and keep their muses busy creating instead of wreaking havoc . Muses are known to do that, you know.

Happy Monday :)


10 comments:

  1. I really loved this one, Jen
    Not a wasted word ~ Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tell ourselves that it is just DNA, doesn't matter, it's what is inside that counts... but if only we could reshape that nose, eyebrows, lips. Mirrors. Best or worst invention ever?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys, for your encouraging comments. It's always hard for me to write short. I feel as if something is going to be left unsaid. That's why I'm enjoying these posts. They are definitely challenges!

    Robin: I've often wondered at the good vs. evil of mirrors. If you'd asked me that when I was in high school I would have said WORST invention ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, we should all look in the mirror and ask, "Why isn't everyone more like me?" If we aren't asking that question, it's time to find ourselves (not via the outer shell) and be who we want to be on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outward expressions of DNA...I like that..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to linger at this post. First Magritte always fascinates me. Second your words caught at my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dean: Yes! It's always good to take a look in the mirror and really understand what we see. We can't be anyone else but ourselves :)

    Tess: Thank you!

    Lee: Thanks for stopping by! So glad you enjoyed this post. I enjoyed writing it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J