Friday, June 6, 2014

Magpie Tales

So...

I happily stumbled upon a GORGEOUS blog whilst perusing the IWSG list. Kestril's Rhthyms and Blues led me to another gorgeous blog where I discovered a monthly writing/blog hop. Magpie Tales posts an image and challenges participants to write a poem or  vignette based on the image presented. And I signed up. I'm not a poet but a I am a little mad and I need an incentive to write, daily, and get the words inside OUT.

Without further ado, and with much trembling and hesitation, I present to you, dear readers, my first ever public attempt at poetry. Please keep your cringing to a minimum...


Jagged Little Pill

There it goes again
Taunting from the counter
"You need me," it whispers and I all but walk away

In the mirror it sits,
Reflection of desire,
Reflection of a deep seated need created by fear

"You need me."
Again I look away, 
Shivering cold in the summer sun,

Summer sun that beckons,
Invites me to exit 
This cold winter of discontent

Shiver gives way to shudder
And I shutter the curtains tight

My steps, heavy on carpet,
Heart racing on rib cage
Hollow...beating....hollow...

Between my teeth you sit and I stare
Reflection of pathos,
Reflection of self-loathing created by fear.

With violence it shatters
Against stainless steel
Scattering pellets of false color on tile and towel.

I throw back the shutters,
I open wide the door,
Sunshine, I am desperate...

***

Eep! If writing is about being brave, then here I go. Perhaps I'm swinging at windmills but geez was that scary! Ok, any poets out there? Feel free to follow the links over and check out Kestril's blog and Magpie Tales. Even if you don't participate, the imagery and words are enough to take you back for more :)

Happy weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy you found these sites that spin your mental gears. We all need challenges. I enjoyed your poem very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed this poem and could understand the feelings within it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are now, officially, a poet. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done! Especially like that last plea to the sun...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin: Thank you! It's always frightening to try a different form of writing but it always ends up exhilarating and giving my creative juices a new jolt of life!

    Cait: Thank you! And thank you for visiting :)

    Dean: You're too kind. Glad you liked it!

    Tess: Thank you for stopping by and for the wonderful poetry challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J