Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Be Intentional


" Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives." 
~ Willa A. Foster.

After this past Insecure Writers Support Group post, I received many positive responses and encouraging thoughts. One person, however, found the exact issue behind my insecurity and pulled out one word from the heap of trouble I was trying to name. Mary Aalgaard at Play off the Page said this,

 "Do what you're doing. Be present, AND schedule some writing time. You might need to go to the library or coffee/tea shop, and when you do that will be intentional. Maybe that could be your word. Intentional."

Talk about a hit between those proverbial eyes. I've been rolling that word around and around in my head for a week now. I wrote what you see above on my chalkboard. And every single time I've felt like walking way from one of my projects this week, I've stopped and thought, "No. I INTENDED to accomplish something today and I INTEND to see it through!"

Funny thing about intention. When you make up your mind to do something, your body follows. It has no choice. You can hem-haw around and scuff up the linoleum but when you focus, really get your mind lined up with your goals, something WILL happen. It's not easy and it certainly hasn't been an overnight miracle story. But I'm learning, I'm growing, and I've got tiny bites out of these enormous dinosaur projects I tend to tackle. 

And that, dear Reader, is cause for celebration! Bring on the lattes!

Are you celebrating any small victories this week? How about BIG ones? Have you ever received the kick in the pants you needed from the Insecure Writers Support Group OR any other for of writing/blogging group?

Write on!


7 comments:

  1. I love how much impact her words had on you. I love the support and encouragement IWSG provides. Go You!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed...so true. There is either "do" or "not do." Everything else is just an excuse. And as I posted during the A-Z blog challenge (from a window in Barcelona) "Be Stronger than your Excuses."

    Stay with that intention and you will fly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary is a smart lady!
    Yes, when you really make up your mind to do something, then you find a way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that it has helped you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that it has helped you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome that Mary was able to help you in that way. She may have helped me, too :)

    Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elsie: Indeed! The IWSG has been a God-send. Thanks for stopping by!

    Dean: This comment made me think of Yoda, "Do or do not. There is no try." Thanks!

    Alex: I've also discovered that I sometimes have to force my body to do what my mind makes up. Ugh...too bad they don't just work together!

    Krystol: Thanks for stopping by!

    Carol: You're welcome! Glad I can pay forward her kindness :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J