Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Insecure Writer's Support Group_August


Once again, it's the monthly gathering for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Click HERE for more info on this daring group of fantastic writers who willingly elect to air their insecurities and writerly dirty laundry the first Wednesday of every month :D

I'll admit, I haven't been doing that much writing about which to be insecure, but that doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about writing.

I narrowed down some story ideas, got them solidified and can see them going smoothly in two, completely different directions than I'd originally planned. Isn't that the way it goes? An idea comes to you and you think, "Hey, I like this. This could be really good! A...B...C...yes! It's perfect." Then, you sit down to write it and, woah! No longer is there a well thought out plot. Your characters begin to revolt and a couple of them walk out of the screening room entirely.

Hn.

The easy way to handle this is coffee. Chocolate helps. As does a good moment or three of a good, old fashioned pity party. BUT, once that's all over and you've ranted to your cat and the neighbors are convinced you're insane, it's time to park it at the work bench and start filing down those rough edges.

Guess what? When you do, you'll be surprised at how lovely the sculpture becomes. It's just a hint, you know. Just an outline or a synopsis or a pile of notes but it's SOMETHING. And it's YOURS. And, if you stick with it (and let the story tell you where it wants to go), it will be GLORIOUS!



Happy Wednesday!

20 comments:

  1. This is so true! Good for you for getting to work though. I love your positive view--whatever it turns out to be, our writing is our own and that's something to celebrate!

    Good luck! Here's a link to my IWSG post--http://charitywrites.blogspot.com/2014/08/iwsg-joys-of-august.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Its true that sometimes talking it through with loved ones, pets and houseplants is the best way to sort out what you want to do. So much of being a writer is about figuring out your own head so you can slap the stuff down on the page. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pity parties are great, but I've learned I have to time them. Give myself, say a 1/2 hour or an hour, depending on what I'm pitying myself about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, when stories take on a life of their own. Plotting is not my thing but a balance of new ideas, letting the story flow, and guiding it seems to work best for me. Messy but best.

    Here's my IWSG post for August

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jennifer. I needed that. I find that if I write stuff down, it all comes together down the road.

    Getting past the this-storyline-and-crazy-character-will-never-work phase is important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jennifer. I needed that. I find that if I write stuff down, it all comes together down the road.

    Getting past the this-storyline-and-crazy-character-will-never-work phase is important.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Follow the least likely path and you'll have a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Letting the story take over is a great way to get those first seeds started. GL!
    lucindawhitney.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Characters in revolt seems to be a theme of late (or.. of always?)
    Yes, coffee helps, sometimes something stronger, and ranting at people... that is vital. I am lucky to have a group of friends who kindly commiserate or (at least overlook) those 3am facebook posts that are really just me yelling at characters who are taking the story in their own direction but not being particularly cooperative about it. Frustrating!! But it is (usually) all worth it in the end, as you said, the product will be glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Alex's comment!
    It's got me thinking...
    Hope you're well, Jen! *waving*
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think rationalizing our insecurity (as writers) is such a huge part of sticking with it. We all get down in the dumps, we all get writer's block, we all have days where we think we'll never reach our goals--just comes with the territory. (And it's why this is such hard work.)

    So instead of feeling useless, just realize it'll pass and try to do little things to help you get through it. Like extra coffee and chocolate! :D

    Making my IWSG rounds. Nice to meet you, and great blog!

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm right there with you in my-characters-are-hijacking-my-bookville. I say we pour another cup of coffee and see where they take us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the same experience with my writing. I have to confess with one of my novels (my baby - the one I love), I'm getting to that point of - there is no plot. Why did I ever want to write this crazy mess?

    I really needed this, because you're right. It's a process. I'll keep telling myself that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thinking my current wip was a total mess, then I took some time away from it and went back this week, only to realize it just needs a patch job. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is why I don't plot. ;) Okay, I plot a little, bits of chapters when I'm done writing for the night and have ideas I don't want to forget. But mostly, I fly by the seat of my pants and see where the characters take me. They have my wrapped around their fingers. =\

    ReplyDelete
  17. Characters revolt. So true... sad and true. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay. I've been using quite a bit of Thinkology myself lately, especially on the back of the bike!
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too have thought about writing this month. It is something, right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chocolate and coffee - you're a woman after my own heart! But you're absolutely correct about sanding down the edges. We have to return to writing because we are writers. One step at a time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J