Monday, September 15, 2014

Finally, the news I've been wanting to share!


One of my favorite scenes in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is when Bilbo finally decides to leave the comfort of the Shire and follow Gandalf on an adventure. He goes tearing out of his house, down a steep embankment and shouts to a passerby: "I'm going on an adventure!" This scene is made infinitely better because it's Martin Freeman acting it out...but I digress.

Later, at the end of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, eager Bilbo looks out over the charred landscape as the newly released dragon swoops toward Laketown, bent on destroying it and all its inhabitants. His face is filled with fear, anger, worry, and guilt. "What have we done?" He whispers.

What have we done indeed.

My Insecure Writer's Support Group post hinted at some changes being made around our homestead. I haven't been able to shout if from the social media street corner yet due to a possible snafu with my husband's job (which, by the way, does not yet know and we'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible). BUT I did want to let the blogverse know:

We're moving to Savannah October 01.

Brief history: I lived in Savannah twelve years ago and fell in love with the city, the people, and the proximity to the beach. My husband and I have been wanting to move back there for ten years. We knew the time to move was coming soon. We had no idea it would strike while we were on vacation. A small, hand drawn sign in a window beckoned "Hiring Full Time Inquire Within". So I inquired. Three days later I was called back to an interview. Three days after that I drove the 3 1/2 hours back to Savannah and emerged from the shop, an hour and a half later, with a new job.

The week after that I took that drive again to look at a house to rent. Three days ago I got final word that the house was ours.

My husband still awaits news on the job prospects he's interested in. 

On the one hand, I'm running around, shouting at the top of my lungs, "I'm Going on an ADVENTURE!!!" On the other hand, I'm looking at the chaos around me, hyperventilating and breathing into a paper bag: "What have we done? What have we done?"

No dragons or Laketown dwellers (or dwarfs for that matter) have been or will be harmed in this move. A few people have expressed displeasure. One refused to talk to me for 24 hours. Others perk up the moment we mention "free place to stay near the beach". I'm surrounded by mixed feelings, packing tape, and boxes beckoning me to either sort, discard, store or stow. We're going from a 1400 square foot house to a 700 square foot bungalow. Yes. Bungalow. How groovy is that?

How did this all come about? I said YES to a heck load of crazy questions. "Inquire Within". OK. "When can you come down for an interview?" "Saturday." "When are you planning on moving to Savannah?" "October 01". That was the big whopper. We'd not even decided on moving officially. But the question was asked and I answered with wide eyes. The first thing I said after I hung up the phone was, "What the hell have I done?" My husband just laughed. 

He's still laughing.

Point is, I'm freaking out but I'm excited. New job, new house, not so new city. I've had more story ideas in the past 2 weeks than I've had in years. I've got to pack up the house, decide what we can take, have to store, and must get rid of in two weeks while working and doing all the other "normal" life things.

"What have we done?"

You can say that again, Bilbo.


Happy Week!


4 comments:

  1. That's exciting! Savannah is such a cool town. Yes, it will be a huge undertaking but a fun adventure regardless. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for you, JEN!!!!

    I can't wait to shout out I have an adventure, too! I've been wanting to get out of Chicago for years and I am STILL HERE, facing another frigid winter!

    I had hoped to sell my condo by now and move back to Florida or Atlanta... one of my favorite cites. I've never been to Savannah, but I'm sure I'd LOVE IT! Georgia is such a beautiful state and has the perfect four seasons, which I love.

    ANYWAY.... ALL THE BEST!!!! I am so happy to hear your wonderful news and that you are returning home....

    Keep breathing and stay focused. It will all work out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Savannah. I lived there for 2 years back in the mid-90s. Now I am in Jacksonville, FL. That isn't so far from Savannah....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Jen!
    You sound so excited...so it must be the right move!
    Enjoy your adventure! Happy Writing!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J