Wednesday, November 5, 2014

IWSG_November Edition



Good morning! Today is the November posting of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Every month, we post about our writing insecurities or offer encouragement to those who need it. If you're not involved, click HERE to find out more about this amazing group. If you don't know who Captain Alex is (aka Our Fearless Ninja Leader) then click HERE. This was his brilliant idea after all :)

***

"Hey, Jen, could you call --- and troubleshoot why our point of sale system isn't working?"

"Hey, Jen, could you call ---, ---, and --- and pay these invoices? Here's my credit card. Thanks!"

"Hey, Jen, I told this gal you were the hiring manager. Could you tell them we're not interested in their application? Make it sound good!"

Yes, all three of these requests were made of me.

All three of them were made in my first week of my new job.

I've been at said job now for a month (woohoo!!) and I LOVE IT. Read: this is the first time in my life I've ever been able to say I love my job. From the very first day, I was thrown into the underbelly of running a boutique business in a very busy tourist town. In other words, I showed up at the pool and was pushed off the high dive into the deep end.

Talk about feeling insecure! I do NOT like confrontation. I HATE being handed things that are "of some importance" and told to handle it. These things were asked of me on my first day at a new job. And you know what? I handled them. I didn't hem-haw around, I didn't kick the dirt or try and excuse my way out of them. I did them.

I, who sucks at computers, get easily overwhelmed and can come across as waaaay too nice:
- spoke to three different people at a company I've never heard of to troubleshoot why our computers weren't working or accepting credit cards
- created an item in a system I've never used on an iPad (which I loathe) that makes our discounts much easier to deal with
- told no less than five people (who were told I was the hiring manager) "Thank you for your application but we've decided to go in a different direction"
-dealt with a credit card snafu like a BOSS!

I'm learning something new every day. I'm finding out that I'm capable of far more than I ever thought I was. And you know why? Because I was given NO CHOICE in the matter. I was handed the credit card and told to pay the bills. I was given the phone and asked to fix the computer problems. And I did it.

If I think too much about something, I won't do it.
If I grab the darn phone, punch in the numbers, and speak my mind, I get things done.

So. Writing.

Stop over thinking your story. NaNoWriMo is in full swing. I'm as guilty as the cat sitting in the bird cage with feathers sticking out of it's ears. Write it. Type the words. Don't worry about it being "right". Make the call. Make the decision. Step up the plate and swing for the fences. 

TRUST ME!

You are braver than you think, smarter than you know, and more amazing than you realize.

WRITE ON!
(like a boss ;))



18 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the new job is going so well. There is nothing like a little success in one part of your life to give you confidence in other parts. Write on!

    Elizabeth Hein - Scribbling in the Storage Room

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. That's exactly how I'm feeling right now too. I've been away from my writing projects for a while (thank you book release promotions), and I was a little scared to jump back in, but all I had to do was jump.

    I'm so happy for you--with this new job! Huge congrats and I hope it continues to teach you much and be an awesome experience!

    Unleashing the Dreamworld

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this, Jen. Good for you and yes, we are all better than we think we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was inspiring! Do it like a boss!!!

    I think we could all benefit from applying that mentality to many aspects of our lives. Thanks for giving me something to chew on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice Jen! I'm much the same way. Now, off to write a page or two just because I can. And should.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy did you get me charged up! Gotta love this post. You rock and thanks so much for sharing your great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot, I'm looking for buddies on NaNo and my name there is LBCollard, if you're interested...

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great that you enjoy/love your new job. I've been thrown into the deep end on the 1st day, too. Not exactly fun, but isn't it amazing how fast you learn? :) Best wishes on NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, I'm often guilty of over thinking and sure enough Nano puts enough pressure on you that all that over thinking has to go! :-) Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great words of advice and example of "Just Do It!" I love it. Congrats on the new job and new home. So glad that you're happy. Looking forward to the stories that you send out into the world.
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! Now you know you can do anything.
    No overthinking. That should be easy for me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. When it comes to the 'over-thinking' bit...I'm so busted - guilty!
    Good for you, facing those challenges head on and dealing with them...go Jen!
    In the words of Nike - Just Do It!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great advise! Congrats on your job, it sounds like it really suits you. I'm guilty of the over-thinking my writing, but I'm determined to keep on going until I write The End on that bugger! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jen. I'm so pleased you're enjoying your new job. And I just started NaNo yesterday so I'll have to get a move on if I'm going to be finished before Christmas, lol! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. First off, congratulations on finding a job you love! And your advice on writing (like a boss) are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Writing on into the sunset and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your new job and yes, yes just do it sit down and write it.
    I just need to listen to myself.
    doreenmcgettigan. com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful post. I love new challenges and seeing what I can do--and yes, I can do them in both writing and non-writing endeavors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J