Friday, January 23, 2015

A New Book (and a bit of Embroidery)

You simply cannot take me into an antique store and expect me to not walk out with at least one dusty old tome in my possession. Especially when said dusty old tome is only $17.50 :)

Cambridge Corporation, Limited of Montreal released 1,000 sets of Beautiful Britain. I happened upon the volume on Wales. It contains 74 gorgeous color plates painted by Robert Fowler and text written by Edward Thomas.

This book is gorgeous:


Funny story, if you click over to a description on biblio.com, the same painting is used to represent the lovely edition that's posted for sale.

It's very much a glorified travelogue, with descriptions of the people and places Mr. Thomas encounters in his ramblings across the Welsh countryside. I've always wanted to go to Wales. Perhaps it's because I don't know anyone who has been there. It could be because the landscape is mythic and breathtakingly beautiful. Maybe it's the fact their language is utterly indecipherable. Then again, it could be because they have one of the most beautiful book festivals in the entire world, in the charmingly named town of Hay-on-Wye.

Why don't I live in a place called Hay-on-Wye? How about Savannah-by-the-Sea? There. I like that better.

Old books have such character. This one has pebbly leather which I haven't seen since I was a little girl. A grandparent or aunt had a bible covered in the same type of leather. I'm a sucker for tactile experiences and this book is a delight! The cover is knobby, the endpapers are textured and dark, navy blue and the paper is crinkly and smells of old libraries and attics. The papers dividing the prints are that delightful vellum that rustles like dry leaves, making me afraid I may rip it when I gently turn it over. 

This is definitely going in my TBR pile for 2015. It certainly constitutes as a book I've never read. I'd never even heard of it (or the series) until Monday! 

Ah discovery!

Have you ever discovered a book that sucked you in and practically begged you to take it home?

And totally unrelated to books, here's a bit of embroidery work I did for some Christmas gifts this year:


I got back into embroidery because it combines two things I love most: drawing and stitching. Plus it's relaxing and seeing those little multi-colored lines gives me such a sense of accomplishment. 

Of course, I wouldn't recommend trying to stitch 6 pieces in the span of two weeks while working full time. It's not very smart...so I hear...from other, reliable sources :P

Have you ever tried to tackle a craft project for the holidays only to find you've bitten off more than you can chew? What's your favorite craft? Have you ever sketched and stitched your own embroidery pattern? Know anyone who does?

Ever onward, Friends. Onward and Upward! And happy weekend :)



2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen!

    I LOVE old books and look forward to the day I have a whole library shelf of dusty, ripped leather covers looking at me. I often pick them up at secondhand book fairs, where people dump them, not aware of their value. I love your embroidery too. Very relaxing. I bought myself a new sewing machine hoping to take it up again, but it's still in its box. i'll have to make do with baking for now!

    And I think I have my feedburner worked out so I hope my feeds show up now!

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so not crafty, so I'd never tackle anything like that. They're beautiful. I love old books, too. We found one in my friend's things that is 100 years old. It's a children's book of stories about birds, with accompanying illustrations from Audobon Society and the sheet music for the songs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J