Tuesday, January 27, 2015

evolution

image found HERE

Writers are, as a species, hard on themselves. We tend to criticize EVERYTHING we do, pick it apart with that proverbial fine toothed comb. We encourage others, tell them to "be themselves" and to "ignore the inner critic" and yet we adamantly refuse to take our own advice.

We are ever-changing beings. Our bodies, our minds, our clothing choices evolve over time. Why, then, shouldn't our blogs?

I have been blogging for 8 years and I have seen blogs come and go; I've created and closed blogs. And I've watched many blogs go from something stagnate or floundering into a blossoming rose garden of magnificence.

THAT'S how it should be. We SHOULD be encouraged to grow and shift and change. We should allow our passions to over-ride convention. Why would you want to keep doing something that has grown stale?

I wouldn't and I don't.

I applaud those who take leaps of faith and allow their blog to organically absorb what they love. Perhaps some bloggers (and writers in general) don't realize it as it happens. Perhaps it's one of those things that they look back on and see the transition. It's natural as it happens; why would it jolt them?

And some may leave the fold, some may arrive.

The point is, in blogging and writing and, well, LIFE, we MUST allow ourselves to FIND ourselves. Allow your heart and soul to emerge from whatever it is you've been told to write, what you've been told you MUST do in order to have a "successful" blog or book.

Success is, of course, relative.

Go after your own passion and see what doors it opens!

Have you shifted your blog focus? Have you considered doing so? Have you ever changed genres, shifting from something "everyone approved of" into something that you KNEW would bring about a bit of persecution? Just curious...



8 comments:

  1. I have not shifted my blog focus. Something to ponder....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but your blog has always been so honest! I've used mine as a vehicle of self discovery for years!

      Delete
  2. My blog has shifted over time. And it got better when I focused on my passions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know! Sometimes I'm concerned to keep chiseling my focus narrower and narrower but I see the end result and I love it!

      Delete
  3. I've recently shifted my blog focus a bit. I'll still be blogging writing tips, but I'm also trying to do fun posts for readers and things for bloggers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun posts are a breath of fresh air sometimes! It's good to mix things up :)

      Delete
  4. Great post Jen. I've read that the average lifespan of a blog is 3 years, but I don't know how many things are taken into consideration when arriving at that figure. At the moment, I think there is a feeling of blah about the blogging scene and many are having a rethink about what they blog for. Most of us started when we had no idea who we were in the blogosphere or where our blog would take us. Those of us who've been here for years (2008 for me), naturally want our blog to grow as we grow. It's a fine line between posting about stuff we want to, yet worrying that if we do so we will bore everyone! I like the blogs I visit to mix it up a bit and some are recently doing so.

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. I've changes blogs many times but I've been here for years! I'm happy to have found my focus (finally) and I can thank the A-Z Challenge for that!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J