Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Literary Comfort Food

GORGEOUS illustration by Abby Wright found HERE


All I want to do in winter is hibernate, and by hibernate I mean drink tea, read books, and watch The Lord of the Rings. Since this isn't a perfect world, I settle for re-reading my old stand-bys: a bunch of rumpled tomes I've read a dozen or more times each. I call them Literary Comfort Food. I crave them like a hipster craves Fair Trade coffee.

Have you ever craved a book? I mean you're in the middle of reading something new, something fantastic and then, you see it: The Old Favorite. You can't get it out of your mind! You dream about it. Finally, you cave; you close the New Shiny and start reading Old Faithful. Sure you know how it ends, but you always (ALWAYS) get something new from this well-worn stack of pages.

December is when I begin. I start with Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising Sequence. From there I dive into Greer Gilman's unbelievable linguistic waltz in Moonwise, all the while reading Susan Wittig Albert's The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter. Running the gambit, aren't it? MG fantasy based on Celtic folklore, breath-takingly beautiful fantasy based on old (OLD) British folklore and cozy mysteries based on the life of Beatrix Potter.

Aside from Moonwise (which takes a LONG time to read), I stop feasting on these pantry staples and start experimenting with exotic cuisine. It's time to step out of my reading comfort zone and start reading the stack of books on my shelves I've never read. Yes, kids, I own books I've never opened! I'm starting with the two bottom shelves of my living room stacks. You see, I brought these books on purpose when we moved. I on purpose left a lot of my favorites back in Atlanta because I KNEW if I gave myself no choice, I would read something new.

That starts on February 01st. I'm not sure what I'll read yet. Maybe I'll just close my eyes and grab and see what happens. I plan on reading at minimum of 52 books this year. So far, I'm at 3. Yay!

So hear goes! I'm excited, truly. I haven't read anything NEW, new since college. That was two years ago. Sure, I read some stuff for my book club but I wasn't excited about it. Don't ask me why. I think I was in withdrawal from all that "read this or else" of school. Now I'm reading "new" because I want to!

What about you? Do you have any reading goals for the year? Do you tend to return to the same books again and again or are you the type who can't stand reading ANYTHING more than once? What book have you read more times than any other? Me, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. If my old favorites are comfort food, Wrinkle is a dozen, gooey chocolate chip cookies and an extra large steaming mug of rich, cocoa topped with whipped cream in the shape of a kitten. Seriously. It's that good to me :D

Happy Wednesday!

8 comments:

  1. I love hibernating in the winter. ;) I've never actually read A Wrinkle in Time, but I've wanted to. I can read many of my favorite books from childhood over and over again like Number the Starts, Little House in the Big Woods. But also the Young Wizard series by Diane Duane which is still ongoing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read the Young Wizard series but I used to shelve it at the bookstore I worked in and always wanted to read it. I'll have to put that back on my TBR list!

      Delete
  2. I confess I almost never reread a book. Although I did reread the LOTR trilogy before the movies came out so I could remember what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work with a lady who had never reread a book. I can't imagine not rereading my favorites. It's a security thing...has to be!

      Delete
  3. I return to Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah a few times each year. Definitely comfort food reading. I have a couple others I am always willing to open up, should the hankering arise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I haven't heard of that one. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

      Delete
  4. Love your foodie description of your comfort books. I do have some comfort books. I love a book of poetry called "The Music Lover's Poetry Anthology." I can also reread "North of Hope" by Jon Hassler. It would be one that I would take if I were to be stranded on a desert island. It would remind me of home. Other comforts, cozy mysteries, anything by Sue Grafton or Sandra Brannan. Cheers to a good reading year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary: I've not read either of those but "North of Hope" is such a lovely title I'll check it out! And the poetry anthology sounds beautiful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J