Thursday, January 29, 2015

passion

image found HERE


What are you passionate about?

Writing? Well of course you are! But what KIND of writing? I mean, what do you enjoy writing about? Do you have a recurring subject that pops up in every book or short story? Take a moment and think about it.

I'll wait.

***

I'll tell you a secret: I do. I've floundered between genres for years wondering why it was so hard for me to settle. I thought I was doing something wrong. I mean, all writers had that ONE genre they were BORN to write. Right?

Perhaps, but genre is not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about subject matter. I'm talking about deep rooted expressions of something that is rooted to your very soul.

Sound esoteric? Creepy? Are you still there?

Good.

THAT thing (and it may be more than one thing) is your passion. For me it's plants. Gardens. Herbs. Horticulture. Especially botanical folklore. Getting my hands dirty, filling a camera with pictures of green and growing things. Considering how things got their names and the stories behind the commonplace, the weeds and the roses. I've been working with plants my entire life. I was practically born in a garden; I was definitely raised in one. My mother taught my sister and me everything she knew about plants: flowers, trees, vegetables and herbs. My father was always working in the veg and fruit gardens. I thought everyone drank chamomile tea and picked pomegranates off of trees in their back yards.

It was my every-day and I soon discovered that it was actually kind of rare, at least where suburban Georgia is concerned.

I've worked for health food and herb shops. I have a certificate in aromatherapy. I even read books and shamelessly make notes of botanical references.

I draw flowers on everything.

It makes sense to pay attention to things like this. Usually these things are so much a part of our every-day that we fail to notice them. We take them for granted. But when we finally see them, when we finally acknowledge them we realize they are the things that make us special and unique. They are the things that make our WRITING, our ART, unique.

THAT'S what I mean when I say passion.

This passion of mine is just resowing itself upon a new landscape. It's been laying dormant in fallow ground for a long, long time. Suddenly, with new light and air, it's beginning to bud. I have a feeling that come spring time, an entirely new landscape will appear.

Right here.

On this very blog :D

Have you ever considered blending your hobbies with your writing? Have you ever wondered if you could carve out a bit of a niche in this wide, over-populated world of writing with some special addiction? Go ahead! Let it out of the box! There's no shame in being the most prolific blogger on chocolate and the way it connects us to our writing! Come on...what's YOUR passion? What could YOU hide --like little Easter eggs-- in your work?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J