Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The 2015 Goal Post

Happy Tuesday!

Today I'm starting something new. In reading the wonderful IWSG posts for this month, I came across many writers who publicly announce their writing goals for the coming year. Several intrepid writers even listed their goals from the previous year and told us whether or not they accomplished them.

I found this to be very brave. Considering I'm not FEELING particularly brave, I thought I would "act as if" and follow suit. Consider this my first annual Goal Post!

There's a pun there...wait for it...you're welcome :)

But enough Tom-foolery! Do you make goals for the new year? Every new year? I do. I always have. When I was younger, I called them resolutions but now I know that's just a fancy word for "nice things I'd like to do but in all actuality will not". A dozen years or so ago I adopted the word "goals" for my plans for the new year. A goal is something you work towards. It's not wishful thinking. It's a plan and, if we stick to our plans, we are far more likely to find ourselves victorious than if we make a wish and send it up with a falling disco ball in NYC.

What are your goals for the new year? Do you write them down, outline them out, month by month, or simply type it into your phone and go about your merry way? I'm a planner. I write my goals down and try to dissect them, month by month, until I get to December. Or so I used to. I've found that does nothing but make me feel as if I'm constantly running behind. Sure, I've got the preliminary outline of this years' goals but I've decided to send it to File 13. Instead, I'm going to write them down, in a list, and leave it at that. Tack it to the wall so it stares me down each morning. No details, just a simple To Do list to keep me on track.

And I've decided to take it a step further and write it down -

HERE

- for all of YOU to see:

(This should have been my post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group last week. Or, instead, I'll start a Scared Out of My Wits Writer's Support Group. Consider this post number one. Memberships are available. All are welcome.)

2015 WRITING GOALS


1. Write and edit one novel
2. Outline a collection of lifestyle books
3. Write, edit, and submit (eep!) 12 short stories
4. Write, edit, and submit (double eep!) 12 essays
5. Post three days a week RIGHT HERE

Maybe that looks like a lot to you; maybe it doesn't look like much at all. I am, however, going to go even further out on this shaky limb and elaborate:

1. This novel is actually the start of a new series, a series that has been mulling about in my brain for years but that I didn't even recognize as a series. It's NOT a genre I've previously been acquainted with. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I once said I'd NEVER write in this genre, no not me!!

2. Lifestyle books: not something I thought I'd ever do! Seriously, I love to READ lifestyle books and magazines but write them? Not I! That's for infinitely more qualified people than me.

3 & 4. A dozen short stories and essays. No worries. These are stories and essays that have been languishing, partially written, in file folders, for YEARS. Some were stories I submitted for course work during my degree program. They seriously need fresh air.

5. Ah, the blog-work. Ever since I left my full-time position at a desk job I've struggled with a regular blog posting schedule. This unfortunately also includes reading and commenting on the blogs of others. It takes me a week to weed through the IWSG posts that I enjoy AND to repay the visits made by others.  I get frustrated and feel as if I'm letting everyone down. BUT I love it here. I love blogging and I love this community. It may take me a while to get to you, but get to you I shall! It's hard when you're not in front of a computer all day but I won't use that as an excuse any more.

There.

Now I've done it. I've sent my writing goals out there into the Universe for all the blog world to see!! I could add a #6 which would be "Participate in the A-Z Challenge" but that's a given.

And I can't wait!

I can't wait to see what you all are up to this year, what you have planned. And I can't wait to see where these five goals will take me.

That you for allowing me to share them with you!

Cheers and Happy Writing New Year!! Here's to a year of hard work and goals accomplished and may we gather here next year with NEW goals and even BIGGER dreams!


9 comments:

  1. Wow, that seems like a very lofty writing goal, Jen. I'm just working on one novel and get overwhelmed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12 short stories and essays? I felt panic when I read that, but it subsided when you mentioned they're partially finished.

    Best of luck to you with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! Write1Sub1. I know someone who did that weekly, so you can do it monthly.
    Goalpost - bad pun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen. Your goals are seriously achievable. Why not? We can always make time for the things we see as important. I wish you well in achieving those goals.

    I don't write down goals, but I have a plan in my head. This year I am hoping to see my first romance published--have finally submitted it to a Harlequin line. Then I am just about jumping out of my skin with excitement over a chick-lit set in Paris which I began outlining these last few weeks. Am adoring the research.

    I understand your time constraints, but I hope you get around to visiting my post where I tell a bit more as I was too busy holidaying to post for IWSG this month. Soon it'll be time to start work teaching again...

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen: If I work on just one thing, I freak out! Or rather, my brain freaks out. I have to keep it occupied :)

    Chrys: Ha! Yes, I panicked when I saw that too and I wrote it! I can pound out some rough drafts, though...it's just a matter of me pounding them out - then editing them! Oh and submitting...argh...

    Alex: Wow! Weekly? That's fantastic. And yes, it was a bad pun! Thanks for getting it :D

    Denise: So good to 'see' you! I'm stopping by soon I promise :) Thank you for the encouragement! This is the first year I've ever felt as if my goals were attainable! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for setting goals for yourself, especially for sending out so many short stories and essays. I recently submitted a short story to a literary magazine; even if it gets rejected, that's at least one goal of mine that I can cross off my list. Of course, I'd like to submit more stories this year, though I don't know if I can submit as many as you plan to, mainly because not all the stories I've worked on are ready to send out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Submissions are tough for me. I'm paralyzed with fear at the thought of sending out my writing. My goals of submitting this year is mainly to face my fear. If something gets published even better! Best of luck in your writing goals for the year!

      Delete
  7. You're goals are high indeed and I think you've got it in you to reach them. And yes, it does sound like a lot, but good for you. It will be great to hear back in Jan. 2016 about how you reached them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean! It's scary to put your goals out there but I needed to conquor that fear. I'm excited to revisit this post in a year!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J