Monday, March 2, 2015

I Eat, Therefore I'm Curious: Sausage and Kale Soup

There are several reasons I volunteered to champion the blog at work: I love writing, a blog is a really good marketing device, blogs let customers become a larger part of a business, and I'm really, really tired of chicken and rice.

Seriously. Not only did we pare down our living space when we moved, we also lost most of our budget. That's getting better (thank GOD) but if I never see another casserole dish of chicken and rice it will be too soon...

Last night we tried out a recipe for sausage and kale soup. I've never liked kale, tried it in several ways and found it, well, kind of bad. But kale is in season, eating in season is in season, and we have kale shears at work that are rather lonely. I brought a pair home and set them to work.

(They work great, by the way. Shameless plug.)

The original recipe can be found on Martha Stewart's website: Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe. Because I can't leave a recipe alone, I've posted the recipe with my modifications. Click on the link above if you want the milder flavored, original version.

Sausage and Kale Soup 
(serves 4-6, depending on bowl size!)

1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Adobe spice blend
5 small to medium potatoes, peeled and cut into rustic chunks
About 30 oz. chicken stock (play with this amount depending upon how 'soupy' you like your soup)
*Make sure you use low-sodium stock! The Adobe spice is salty.)
1 bunch of kale (about 12 oz.), stemmed and shredded
12 oz. sausage, whatever type you like, sliced into bite-sized pieces



In a large, 6-8 quart pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp of Adobe spice. Stir well and cook until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Toss in your garlic and another 1/2 tsp of Adobe spice. Cook for about a minute, until fragrant. Add broth, pat of butter and potatoes, bring to a boil then let simmer until potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes.

Check for flavor. If it needs more, add another 1/2 tsp of Adobe spice.

Using an immersion blender, break up some of the larger chunks of potatoes, creaming about half of the soup. You can also remove half the soup and blend in a blender. If you do this, pour the blended half back into the pot before proceeding.

Add the kale and sausage and simmer until kale is wilted. This will take about 10-15 minutes.



Serve with a side of crackers (Saltines down here in the South).

Verdict: I really liked it! Kale isn't as slimy as other cooked greens I've tried and it's full of flavor. Also, it's packed with vitamins C and A and goes down way easier than a handful of pills!

If you try this recipe, let me know how it turns out and how you like it!



Cheers,
Jen
 


4 comments:

  1. Although I'm a vegetarian, I can admit that sausage and kale soup sounds interesting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always omit the sausage. The soup with the adobe spice has tons of flavor!

      Delete
  2. Does it really make the kale taste good? I've had it and really didn't like the flavor.
    Glad the finances are improving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I don't like kale (as a rule) but this was really good!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J