Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Off the Cuff...



Last night I couldn't go to sleep. It was close to midnight, my husband went to bed, and I was left on the sofa with a notebook and a pen.

Guess what happened next?

A story came waltzing by. A completely unexpected story. Something that I'd not thought about previously, contemplated over days or months or years. Something that had not been boiled over and reheated.

Something NEW.

I jotted down what could be called a "back of book blurb" and went to bed.

The next morning I had half an hour before I needed to get ready for work. I pulled out that same little notebook and started writing. I didn't think about it. I just wrote. For thirty wonderful minutes I wrote! And the story came. I clicked my pen closed, put the marker in the notebook and off to work I went.

At lunch I was able to pick up where I'd left off and started scribbling. Things began to solidify. I created tension. I've introduced four characters and hinted at two others. There are only four pages written in this notebook.

I'm not thinking about the story.

I'm simply letting it materialize.

Have you ever had this gift come to you? Have you ever been visited late at night by an idea that brought you such joy that you didn't think about publication, didn't think about plot development or final edits? A story that just said, "Hello. Care to dance?"

And you said yes?

What a marvelous experience! I'm enjoying it, dear Reader. This is a first for me :) Here's to seeing where this goes. 

Happy writing and happy Tuesday!


4 comments:

  1. That is exactly how my novel is coming to me, Jen. It is a joy, except when it stops coming - so happy for you. May it continue to emerge so joyfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen! I think that's wonderful that you're novel is coming to you in fits and starts of surprises! I feel like I'm in that courtship stage of a new relationship. It's odd. I've never had a story come to me this way but I'm enjoying it. I'm enjoying the discovery. Each time I sit down to write, I'm amazed by the plot developments and the questions my characters ask one another. This is an interesting group of people! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an awesome feeling when you start a new story and the writing flows well; it's also fun to create new characters and find out what direction they'll take the story in.
    The last time something like that happened to me was when I heard about a literary magazine that I wanted to submit a story to. The theme sounded really interesting, so I wrote a draft of the story in one sitting, and it felt wonderful. The story was rejected, though, but it still made me feel good to have written it. And I can always revise it and send it somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a few poems show up like this. The best thing to do, as you have done, is enjoy the ride and let the muse flow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J