Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Letter G

WELCOME! To the 2015 A-Z Challenge!! My theme this year is Twenty-Six Days to Bring More LOVELY into Your Life. During the month of April, join me as I blog my way through the alphabet and highlight the bloggers, crafters and dreamers who make the online world (and the REAL world) a much more LOVELY place in which to live! I hope you find inspiration for your own journey.

***

This next inspiring person is perhaps one of the most linguistically talented authors I've ever come across.I've never met another reader who has read anything by [G]reer Ilene Gilman. Anytime I recommend her book, Moonwise, it's met with blank stares, lots of blinking, vague smiles and a change of subject.

No, the book is NOT a recent bestseller. No, it has NOT been made into a film. And, NO, it is NOT an easy read. This book is dripping with the essence of language and mythology. It is steeped in old (and I mean OLD) English folklore. In a word: breathtaking. She's written other works, including a compilation of poems inspired by the world she created in Moonwise. I'm not as familiar with them as I am with this particular novel, so forgive my hype of only one work of such a talented author.

Gilman's work breathed a deep, much needed breath of fresh air into my own work. She's inspired me to step outside of the "formula" for bestselling fiction, the "rules" of "what readers will or will not read" and just write what I want to write. Better yet, she's challenged me to write what I want to READ. And she's challenged me to better my understanding of mythology, folklore and the language I claim to speak fluently: English.

Visit Gilman's website and specifically the site for her work Moonwise. Again, it's not an easy read, but it is WELL worth the effort. Once you grasp the rhythm of her world, you'll fall in and you'll never, ever be the same reader you were before you discovered her. Trust me! It's an adventure in language as well as story.

Happy A-Z-ing!



1 comment:

  1. Good morning!

    I will have to check out your recommendation!!

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J