Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Letter M

WELCOME! To the 2015 A-Z Challenge!! My theme this year is Twenty-Six Days to Bring More LOVELY into Your Life. During the month of April, join me as I blog my way through the alphabet and highlight the bloggers, crafters and dreamers who make the online world (and the REAL world) a much more LOVELY place in which to live! I hope you find inspiration for your own journey.

***

No one has shaped my impression and love of music like Loreena (M)cKennitt. I stumbled upon her music quite by happy accident while working at a veterinary clinic back in 1998. This of course is appropriate when you know that Loreena was on tract to becoming a veterinarian until she discovered her unique musical talent.

We kept the radio tuned to a very "safe" Top 40 channel, you know, one of those that rarely ever change their line-up until a song is at least five years old. Well, surprise, surprise, when I heard the most amazing, strange, unique and beautiful song on that station! It was at least 2 months later -- and several more times hearing "The Mummer's Dance" before I caught the DJ announcing the artist. I went out and bought her newest album that weekend.

I've since followed her career, seen it blossom from traditional Celtic to an amalgam of Celtic and Middle Eastern music. Her skill of fusion is breathtaking and her musicianship, lyrics and storytelling are as close to flawless as I've heard.

Check out her website, click on the YouTube video below and discover her music for yourself. It's not Top 40 but it's beautiful, imaginative and mind broadening!





Happy Exploring!

1 comment:

  1. Her music is indeed wonderful and her live performance doubly so! I would love to see her again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy, fantastic life to pay a visit! I appreciate every, single comment and I'll continue the conversation here :) It makes this big blog-verse of ours feel a little more like home.

Cheers! ~J